Sunday, February 22, 2009

New Rat Species

In the following article, I have read about this new rat species that has been found in the mountains of the Philippines. They are called the Hamiguitan batomys. They are golden brown with a long fuzzy tail. The rat weighs 6.2 ounces. I think that it is wonderful that they have found this animal and that they continue to find other animals. These rats seem very interesting and different from the rats I have heard of. The rats that I know of are normally a gray color and live in highly human populated areas where they can access garbage. I thought that it was interesting that the Philippines had one of the largest amounts of unique species of mammals of any place in the world. I personally don't know much about rats but do find this discovery interesting and would like to hear more about it. I find new discoveries of animal species very interesting and I find it even more interesting that the species has gone so long not being discovered or unnoticed. I wonder if they were seen before and were not known to be a new species and I wonder how long they have been around for.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090218/sc_afp/philippineswildliferodent;_ylt=Anfjy6dhWyKWe3mTs.Sao794hMgF

No comments: