Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Blog Response: Celiac Disease

I have recently read an article about Celiac Disease on tinkywinkyx123 's blog. I learned many new thing about the disease that I did not know. It is an autoimmune disorder. It occurs to people of all ages that are genetically predisposed. It was founded in London in 1887. The disease can lead to abdominal bloating and pain, chronic diarrhea, vomiting, constipation, weight loss, and pale, foul-smelling, or fatty stool. The cause of Celiac Disease is not yet known but it seems though the genes within the cell that causes Celiac Disease include first-degree relative genes with the condition. The only treatment for the disease is a gluten-free diet because the cause is unknown so there is no specific treatment yet. When someone has this disease, they need to take all wheat out of their diet. If they have wheat, it would be toxic to the person consuming it. The symptoms of the disease cannot cause death but are still very unfortunate and not fun to go through. I think it is very sad that some people have to go through this and that I am very lucky not to have a disease like this. The article has helped to give me a better understanding about the disease and has taught me a lot.
http://tinkywinkyx123.blogspot.com/2009/05/genetic-disorder-celiac-disease.html

No comments: